Coudal Partners' MoOM (Museum of Online Museums) gathers 150+ Web sites of museums, galleries and exhibitions into one comprehensive list. Quality ranges from polished sites affiliated with established museum institutions (like MoMA and the Rijksmuseum) to an individual collector's extensive Flickr stream (like vintage European cinema postcards, 1895-1970).
The MoOM offers a semi-curated virtual tour of a vast variety of collections (it is updated quarterly). It is organized yet also proves the Web is both wide and wild; such a diverse list reminds that the WWW expands endlessly and infinitely, unbounded by nothing but imagination's limits—and people's proclivities to put all this online.
A few I surveyed:
- Covers of a few thousand science fiction magazines: an interactive collage created with an inspiring use of Flash.
- The Grocery Lists Collection: almost 2,000 lists featured.
- AirlineMeals.net: the "world's first and leading website on nothing but airline food."
- The 1976 License Plate Retrospective: stunningly comprehensive.
- Record Envelope Gallery: the "little library of factory sleeves."
UPDATE (4/23/09): From the Coudal Partners' email newsletter sent out today -- "Our Museum of Online Museums is currently under renovations for the Spring Exhibitions. Look for a slew of new showings and oddball collections in the next day or two."